Friday, December 7, 2007

Researching + Nanotechnology

While finding suitable sources to use and cite for research, one much account for the credibility of said source. The most important method that I employ is just reading over the entire article and examining it for spelling errors. Usually if there area lot of spelling errors, the information is not completely correct, or so has been the case for me. As well, if I feel as though the document is correct, it reads and feels right, then I use it and it is usually correct information.

Things that lead you to believe that an article is legitimate is most important, checking other sources, but also checking on the original source to see if it cites other sources in order to back up what it says. Wikipedia does so, and is in fact a very good source for information, contrary to what professionals in academia may say. One must know to cross reference what he reads on Wikipedia with other trusted sources, however. Other than the potential risk that a document is incorrect on Wikipedia, the only thing one must look out for is for bias within the document, as it was written by pretty much a bunch of random people from all over the place, each with a different perspective and understanding.

Also, I officially declare my topic for our chemistry project as Nanotechnology. <3

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hey James,
I agree with your post on the credibility of resources. I usually just trust my instincts as well. I like your idea about checking for bias information. Sometimes it is hard to be completely biased and it can also be hard to tell if a person is telling the facts or their opinions. Most information I have found on Wikipedia has been reliable however if you cannot find any other information about the topic how do you propose to tell if the information is reliable?
--Jen

Zach said...

I agree that wikipedia does have excellent information. Also, good thought with looking a whether the said site has links to other sites. That always helps determine the credibility.